Problem with embedded image tags and the Search function

• I'm using Adobe Bridge to add Keywords (tags) to all my files. What this does is adds the keywords to the meta information. The search was working when I first uploaded the images to the albums, but have since stopped working. After I add all the necessary keywords in Bridge, then delete the image from the album and re-upload the image, and then do a Search for the keyword, no resulting images appear. It works with some, but not others.

Search results based on image tags seems to be inconsistent. I should be able to search for any of the highlighted keywords in the image below and have results appear. If I search for "Castle" in this case, it should show this image along with any other images that contain the keyword "Castle". Am I doing something wrong?

Edit: How does the "Use Image Metadata" tab work? Aren't the results searchable?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Hi,

first of all, to clarify: Joomla and JoomGallery can only search content in the database, not the metadata in the image file itself.

Edit: How does the "Use Image Metadata" tab work? Aren't the results searchable?

In this tab you can set which metadata (Exif or IPTC) should be transferred to which database field. This transfer will happen in the future during the upload. See also New features in JoomGallery 3.4.0

In which format are your 'tags' saved in the image file? Possibly a special format from Adobe?

It is only possible to read Exif and IPTC metadata.

In the JoomGallery image manager you can always see what information is stored in the database. Usually the image title and description are searched.

Regards

MrMusic

• The keywords/tags are saved in a field in the Metadata section for each image in plain text (as far as I know). I had these keywords in the Keywords field as noted below, and copied each of those to the Description field in the Metadata. When re-uploaded the image and did a search for any of those keywords in the description, the results came back normally.

Here's a link to the image detail page:

Photos - Category: Walt Disney World, August 1984 - Image: 26 (dansmith.ca)

If you do a search for any of the keywords above, the image will show up.

Could a subsequent version of JoomGallery allow searching the Keywords metadata?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Try to read out metadata during upload. You can find the corresponding settings in the config manager.

As long as the metadata is only in the image file and not in the database, there is no way to search for it...

• Offizieller Beitrag

I just had a bright idea. Why not just use Description and not use Keywords?

This is probably the easiest way to reach your goal, when your image collection is not already equipped with metadata.