Upgrade to Joomla 4 already possible?

• Hi,

as on my Joomla Page the Joomgallery is the last component preventing the upgrade to J4, I am asking myself if one of these approaches would be feasible:

A) Migrate but not yet activate

• install Joomgallery 3.7-RC1 and fix the alias/catpath
    • upgrade to Joomla 4
    • deactivate Joomgallery

So everything is already prepared to upgrade and active Joomgallery again, but I am also not stuck with the out-of-support PHP8 and Joomla 3.10. I think we can cope with Joomgallery not beeing available for some time. Or do you expect a 3.7-RC2 with additional fixes - that would be worse in this case :)

b) Migrate and use Alpha2 in Read Only Mode

• install Joomgallery 3.7-RC1 and fix the alias/catpath
    • upgrade to Joomla 4
    • upgrade to Joomgallery 4 Alpha 2
    • disable everything altering stuff (upload, commenting, rating etc.) and just use it to display the existing images

I know it is alpha and it could harm my live site, but neither someones life nor income depends on our site. I might just take more backups just in case. As with the first approach, only additional fixes from an 3.7-RC2 would be bad in that case as I cannot execute them then.

Thank you!

• Hi,

b) Migrate and use Alpha2 in Read Only Mode

Note: Alpha2 is only for testing. There is no possibility to update Alpha2 to the next version.

If you use the Alpha2, you would have to deinstall it later and perform the migration again.

A) Migrate but not yet activate

I think we can cope with Joomgallery not beeing available for some time

If you can do without it until the release of JoomGallery 4.0, this would be possible.

Personally, however, I would do the following:

Create a copy of the Joomla 3 site with JoomGallery 3.6 and keep it running in the background.

Update your regular site to Joomla 4. Leave JoomGallery 3.6 deactivated there.

After JoomGallery 4.0 has been released, perform the migration of JoomGallery.

Regards

MrMusic

• Ok, thanks for the info, then I will use Alpha2 indeed only for Testing.

And I will migrate to J4 already and can then later import from a 3.6 site clone (from another DB), or maybe even from the same DB if there are no further changes beyond 3.7-RC1. Thats really an amazing work which you provide with the migration Tool :thumbup: