JoomGallery for Joomla 4

• As I said, the version on Github can't be tested! :(

It's the only thing I can do (and translate into French, if necessary), I'm not a coder.

Adding an image fails, you created an issue on april 3 and nothing new.

So I think I will look for another gallery extension. My friend is not able to migrate herself and I don't know what will happen to me in a year's time, I'm not young anymore. ;)

• This version is under development. There are new PRs that fix that issue and allow to upload image.

Each feature or feature packs are released in PR and need to be tested first, before merged to master. To get access to PRs and help with testing - please, contact with Elfangor93 .

Don't worry, we need testers also :D

My friend is not able to migrate herself and I don't know what will happen to me in a year's time, I'm not young anymore. ;)

C'mon, stay positive :) Your friend could always ask for help here... or even better on joomla forum at joomla.org

• Offizieller Beitrag

Adding an image fails, you created an issue on april 3 and nothing new.

With this PR it is possible to create images.

https://github.com/JoomGalleryfriends/JG4-dev/pull/31

We are really working on making JoomGallery 4 (JG4) a reality. I expect to have a Beta version of JG4 by the end of the year.

• I made a donation to help with the progress. I have two websites that necessarily have to be on PHP 7.4 because of a problem with their templates. And so I need to upgrade them and change their templates and while I'm doing the upgrade I am going from J3 to J4 because I have to do that anyway.

So I'm in a bind and need JoomGallery updated. After March of this year, I will be having to pay $5/month maintenance fee to keep on PHP 7.4 so I need to upgrade soon.

Right now on one of my sites I'm forced to move to PhocaGallery which I hate because the gallery is just that important.

If you have any updates on how things are going since August 9th of 22. that would be great to see.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Hello Tomnibus,

Thank you for your interest and donation to the JoomGallery 4 development. We are currently a team of about 10 people working on a complete overhaul of the component to make it compatible for Joomla 4 and at the same time fit for many future major releases of Joomla.

But we are all doing that besides our jobs on our free time. And the amount of people working on code development is very modest. We are making progress slowly but steadily. It will still take some time until the first release. I would currently estimate summer to autumn 2023 as a time horizon without any guarantee.

We are well aware of the fact that php 7.4 will be turned off soon at some hosters. Thats why we released v3.6.0 which is compatible to php 8.0 and we will soon release v3.6.1 which will be compatible with php 8.1.

The whole development team uses JoomGallery by themselfs, so we have a personal interest in making sure that JoomGallery 4 can be used on productive systems as soon as possible. Considering the fact that Joomla 3.10 gets officially support until 17.08.2023 I personally plan to run my JoomGallery projects with Joomla 3.10 at least until the end of 2023. Pretty sure JoomGallery 4 will be ready by then.

If you need JG4 urgently, the only effective way to speed up the release is to join the development team and to actively participate in the code development. If you consider doing so, contact me. You find the contact in my signature.

• Hi,

Some questions is Joomlagallery J4 version already usable on an online J4 site? Or is the test version not yet suitable for it, which is on GitHub?

I need to do a migration from J3 to J4, and it has Joomgallery. Is it possible to migrate from Joomgallery J3 to J4 while preserving images and settings ? So 1 click update or is there more to do it?

Regards Ron :)

• Offizieller Beitrag

Hi,

...is Joomlagallery J4 version already usable on an online J4 site?

unfortunately no, we are currently still in early development.

The lower the support, the longer it takes. The greater the support, the faster JoomGallery 4 would be ready. :)

Regards

MrMusic

• I have tested all the top Joomla Galleries and none could do what JoomGallery can do. Even wasted money on trying to find a JoomGallery repayment for Joomla 4. 😒

Would money fix the deployment problem? An idea would be to start a donation rally to outsource the hard to code stuff to freelancer.com

• Offizieller Beitrag

I have tested all the top Joomla Galleries and none could do what JoomGallery can do.

You are right I come to the same conclusion when testing galleries for Joomla 4.

Thats why all my gallery dependent projects are still on Joomla 3 and why I give my best contributing to the JoomGallery 4 development.

What are then the features JoomGallery can do and the other dont?

Just that we can make sure JoomGallery v4 will not miss those 😉

Would money fix the deployment problem?

I dont think we can raise enough money to get a PHP developer doing the job for us.

But we would happily welcome you in the JG4 development team to speed up the project together!

• I'm not a very good at coding but finding bugs is my unwanted skill, because they always find me. 🙄

If someone can tell me what the biggest code challenge is in JoomGallery 4 then i can try to post this as a project on freelancer.com and we will see who like to take on this challenge. 😉

• Hi, do we have any information about the update for Joomla 4?

I ask because end of joomla 3 is almost here, from my web hosting sent me a message also that joomla 3 time is almost done and suggested me to upgrade to Joomla 4, but I cannot update to joomla 4 because I'm waiting for JoomGallery extension for Joomla 4 (and of course with me all the users worldwide that use Joomgallery).

Thanks for your work and I hope to have some good news before the end of Joomla 3.

Have a nice day.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Hello JoomGallery-fan,

We have made a lot of progress over the last few months, and I can finally see the end of the development tunnel. There are still some feature-related pull requests that need to be merged, and a migration script still needs to be written. But overall we have created a stable core, based on the latest Joomla standards, which provides a good foundation to make JoomGallery 4 to something great.

Timeline Prediction
    The beta version for integration tests will probably be ready in August 2023. If we get enough testers and feedbacks for the beta version, I would predict that we will be able to release the first stable version at the end of Q3, beginning of Q4 2023.

Keep you updated...

• Offizieller Beitrag

I'm hoping to install JoomGallery Beta and resurrect our photos.

The Beta version is not ment to be installed on productive sites. It will be still a Beta with possible bugs which could break your site irrevocably.

But you could copy your site to a local environment for testing the Beta.

• Offizieller Beitrag

The beta version for integration tests will probably be ready in August 2023.

Yesterday we had a JG4 team meeting, where we decided to release an alpha version in September 2023.

We are very proud of what we achieved and are looking forward to share it with you...

• We have just published a survey to plan the further development of JoomGallery (version 4 and newer).

Please take a moment to fill out the polls:

Wir sind auf der Suche nach Helfern für die JoomGallery 4 Entwicklung!

Melde dich bei Interesse bei mir (Elfangor93).

(Verfügbare Jobs: PHP-Entwicklung, Testen, Übersetzen, Dokumentation)

• I need to upgrade a site to Joomla 4. While we have Joomgallery 3 installed, we can survive a few months without our gallery being operational.

Would it be possible to upgrade to Joomla 4, leave Joomgallery 3 installed, and then upgrade to Joomgallery 4 when it is finally released? Should this preserve all images and data?

(While waiting for Joomgallery 4 we intend to simply unpublish the Joomgallery menu item and/or deactivating the joomgallery component. Whatever is preferable.)